The Town of Bay Roberts collects curbside recycling once every two weeks on the same day as your garbage collection. To verify which zone you are located in, please check the list. Once you know the zone you are located in you can then view the schedule to see when your recycling day is.
- You may place up to five bags of garbage, each weighing 40 lbs or less, at the curb each week.
- Garbage must be placed in a standard garbage bag, not in a supermarket sized bag.
- Garbage must be placed in a proper bin or covered with an approved net or blanket.
- Garbage is to be placed at the curb no later than 8 a.m. on collection day.
- Hypodermic needles must be placed in a puncture proof container prior to placing in garbage.
- Broken glass must be clearly marked and packed to prevent glass from sticking out from the container.
- Bundled materials (branches, carpet, etc.) must be less than 2 feet in length and less than 40 lbs.
- Do not use chemicals (e.g. bleach) on garbage to repel animals.
Containers of liquid will not be collected.
- Aluminum (e.g. pop and beer cans, pie plates)
- Plastic Bottles (e.g. water, pop, liquor)
- Plastic Containers (e.g. ice cream, ketchup, bleach, shampoo, butter sour cream, household cleaners, salad dressing, yogurt etc.)
- Tin Cans (e.g. soup, coffee, tuna, cat food etc.)
- Gable Tops (e.g. milk & juice cartons)
- Tetra Paks (e.g. juice boxes, soup etc.)
- Writing & Computer Paper (e.g. lined, white, coloured)
- Books (remove hardcovers)
- Boxboard (e.g. cereal, tissue, detergent boxes & more)
- Egg Cartons (the cardboard kind)
- Paper Bags
- Toilet Paper Rolls & Paper Towel Rolls
- Corrugated Cardboard
Materials NOT Accepted
These items must stay out out of the blue bags.
- Aerosol & Paint Cans
- Drink/Coffee Cups
- Gift Wrapping Paper
- Kitty Litter
- Plastic Bags/Wrap
Glass beverage containers are excluded from recycling. We encourage citizens to participate in the MMSB Used Beverage Container Recycling Program that is administered as a deposit-refund system. The program is financed through an 8 cent consumer deposit on non-alcoholic beverage containers and a 20 cent consumer deposit on alcoholic beverage containers. Consumers receive a 5 cent refund for non-alcoholic containers and a 10 cent refund for alcoholic beverage containers returned to a Green Depot for recycling. There are a number of Green Depot collecting sites around Bay Roberts, including one beside Powell’s Supermarket and the Green Depot Building on Neck Road, Coley’s Point.
These items can be dropped off at the Town’s compost facility located on Central Street.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
These items can be dropped off during the Town’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day. Information about Hazardous Waste
Bulk items that were traditionally picked up, i.e. mattresses, fridges, washers, etc. These items will now be picked up during the Town’s two clean-up operations, two weeks in the Spring and Fall. They can also be dropped off at the new Eastern Waste Management recovery site located at the old incinerator complex in Harbour Grace.
These items can be dropped off at the new Eastern Waste Management recovery site which is located at the old incinerator complex in Harbour Grace. We also provide a wood chipping service at our quarry site on Central Street. This service will be available in May, please refer back to our site for the dates and times you can avail of this service.
How to Recycle
- Sort recyclables into two groups: Containers and Paper Products.
- Make sure everything’s clean. Rinse food containers so there’s no food left inside, especially milk containers.
- Remove lids and caps from your containers, and remove wrap from boxes and paper.
- Place paper products and containers into separate clear blue bags. We can only take recyclables that are not mixed together.
- Use only clear blue plastic bags which can be bought at most retail stores where you buy your regular garbage bags.
- Place recyclables loosely in the blue bag. Do not put recyclables in grocery store bags and then into blue bags. Grocery store bags are not recyclable but blue bags are.
- The clear blue bags that you put your recyclables in will also be recycled.
- Place your separated clear blue bags at the curb on recycling day.
- You do not need to cover your recycling.